Monday, April 7, 2008

Been There

Artists Mai Yamashita & Naoto Kobayashi

A friend knowingly sent me this video from youtube. They've exhibited all over Europe.


I completely understood because, you know, I've been there. In summer 2000.


Just beginning  


After two weeks, 2 hours a day


After 21 days, 2 hours a day

My project was about something completely different, and I must say, a bit more complex. But my hat is off to the two artists.  I can't really say much about their cheeky video. My work, shown here was about connection, both to the land I found myself in and the artist, Janine Antoni,  who had walked here before me. It was an ascetic reaction to a self indulgent atmosphere. It was about evidence, about tracing the paths of others, about redrawing discarded elements, about stating emphatically what is important to me. It was about path-making, making one's mark, but also understanding it shall  eventually be displaced. This work was made in the last few weeks of the Skowhegan class of 2000.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you've turned your back on the nefarious killing of grass, and instead have chosen to use your powers for good.

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...