Friday, May 9, 2008

Too Busy

School is nearing its end and its got me and my wife so busy we cannot get the time to get our vegetables in. We need to build wooden boxes first. We are building 8 tomato boxes, two bean boxes, and a variety of other things boxes. Its a lot of wood which we are hoping to recycle from students projects and other sources. At first we were going to use those 5 gallon plastic pails from Sheetrock compound, but then I decided I didn't want to go with plastics. I'd rather use a material more commonly associated with plants.

On the 17th of May I am going upstate to a small organic farm, called Four WInds Farm, near where I went to undergraduate school. Its in southern Ulster county, a farm and woodland region that I would like to see stay that way. Instead, I see a lot more new homes there now than when I went to college over 15 years ago.

The farm raises grass-fed cattle, turkey, chickens, pigs and sheep, but they also sell organically grown, heirloom vegetable starts on the third Saturday of May. So I am going to check out the meat, but will come home with vegetable starts for those planters I hope to build that same weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...