Monday, May 11, 2009

Come and Go Greens





I clipped my arugula, spinach, mesclun and asian greens mixes. All told, I got about 4 cups worth out of this first clipping. Thing is, the spinach and the arugula were already bolting. I don't know if it was the heat a couple of weeks back, my poor thinning, or just the varieties I chose, but the last week's weather seemed the kind to put on some healthy leaf growth. But not so much.

These pots have new things to go in them and I want to take advantage of the warm weather to get those new vegetables off to a good start. So it is that I may be pulling these greens before their true finish time. Alas, that's the downside to such a small plot.

City gardeners with small plots, let us thank our local farmer for bringing to us what we cannot grow ourselves. If growing food in the city is just a trend, a passing fancy, it will at the very least illuminate so many on how much work producing food is and how fragile its reliability can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...