Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Vine of Horrors


Have you seen this article. Unfortunately, the NY Times does not have a photo of the porcelain berry vines in summer on the Saw Mill River Parkway. I've seen them. Its amazing. It looks like a giant green Henry Moore sculpture that goes on and on. I wish I'd taken some photos, but speeding down the parkway makes that tough.

Ampelopsis brevipedunculata or rather commonly, Porcelain Berry Vine

It certainly didn't seem right when I first noticed it on the parkway a few years ago. The roadway cuts through the woods, creating an edge land that the vines easily exploit. Its an amazing sight, but they should cut them down in one great concerted effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...