Sunday, September 13, 2009

Death of Norman Borlaug


If you don't know who this man is, yet you rail against the chemical weed and feed, scientifically bred high yield grain farmers of the 20th century, you should stop for a moment to read about this man's work. He is regarded as the father of the "Green Revolution." I first came across his name while reading an environmental treatise in my early twenties. Although nearly twenty years ago, my memory of his accomplishments has remained, and now more than ever, they are challenged from multiple perspectives. Norman Borlaug won a Nobel Peace Prize for his contributions to ending world hunger. Today, many would say those ends don't justify the means. Read this for an overview of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...