Saturday, January 23, 2010

Well Traveled Ham




This is the extra large ham that my father-in-law gave to us as we left his home in Minnesota this past holiday. He wants to give us a ham every year. One year, I am ashamed to admit, the ham only made it as far as a rest stop garbage can in Pennsylvania. This year, since the ham was recently purchased and the air was so cold the ham remained frozen for the whole trip in the car's trunk, I decided to keep it.

When I was searching for a white wine at a local liquor distributor, many of the tags on the shelves read "Good With Ham." I do not know why ham is the meat of choice around the holidays in Minnesota, but it is (maybe all the time?). No matter, I decided to cook its 11 pound ass last night.

I am a fan of ham and eat many varieties. My main complaint about this kind of ham is that it is way too salty. I washed it off and cooked it for 2.5 hours at 300 degrees even though it was 'pre-cooked.' So now the question remains, what to do with all that ham? Any ideas?

Below was my first idea. A casserole, which I am learning to appreciate. It's the meal of choice in my wife's Minnesota homeland, and I feel that the best way for me to get accustomed to casseroles is to start making my own. I even convinced myself that baked ziti is a casserole.


 Portuguese Peas, Parmigiano, and potatoes.


Olive oil underneath, sliced potatoes 1/8-inch thick, grated parmigiano.


Small chunks of ham, minced shallots.


More potatoes, then peas, cheese, and shallots. Repeat until dish is full.


On top, one last set of potato slices, cheese, black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.


The result was tasty, but I forgot one ingredient: funghi! Well, I think a casserole is defined by what you have on hand, and mushrooms were not. I still have 9 pounds of ham left. Now what?

5 comments:

  1. Casseroles are awesome, as they are a formula rather than a recipe. Maybe pan-fry some of the leftover ham and accompany with roasted veggies?

    That said, is a well-traveled ham anything like a well-tempered clavier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veggies, good idea.

    Yes it is, but so much more boorish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with ham salad sandwiches and I still love 'em. Are you a Miracle Whip man or a mayo man?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ham good.

    I like cooking salty ham in the hotbox manner...it's awful and tastes wonderful: cover ham with ginger ale, add bay leaves, juniper beries, what you fancy. bring to boil, cover, simmer 30 minutes. Take off heat and wrap the whole pot in blankets, duvets, spare mink coats - anything to insulate. Leave overnight or at least 8 hours. Take out (still very hot!), peel skin off if it has any, score fat into diamond shapes, put cloves in all intersections of diamonds, pat on mix of brwn sugar and dry mustard powder, bake in oven for 3/4's hour at 350. Cool, eat with sauce of mustard whipped into egg yolk, whipped into cream with a little sugar and melted butter.

    Oh. I didn't answer the question: white bean soup and ham is yummy; potted ham - chop up finely, pack into little pots and pour melted butter over, chill or freeze. Brilliant for picnics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen Z, you're able to comment now! But to answer your question- Neither! My wife is a Miracle Whip lady, however, I have not been able to eat either (its a mental thing I suppose).

    Marie -if I may, how do you stay fit??
    Ham and melted butter! It all sounds very good.

    We've had lots of ham sandwiches. I made some weird concoction with pasta, onions and shrooms and butter. My wife made 'ham salad', which I pass on. And tonight, the last of the ham goes into split pea soup. Whew. I'm done with ham.

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...