Saturday, May 1, 2010

Al Swearengen's Nursery




As you read this, I'm doing something new. Possibly against my better judgement and possibly against Larry's better judgement, I will begin working at J&L nursery one day a week. Ostensibly as a salesperson. Larry asked me a week ago after a young couple, in my opinion, didn't want to deal with him. They turned to me when he asked them what they were looking for. Of course, I didn't work there, but I helped them anyway. Its lore that whenever I am shopping at a nursery, people turn to me for help. I must look the part.

Larry's a bit scary, old brooklyn, coarse. He's a bit like Ian McShane's Al Swearengen, the foul mouthed, sometimes softhearted, character of the HBO series Deadwood (which I sorely miss). I don't know how well I'll handle the reality of working for him. Its been 21 years since I worked at a nursery, or retail at that. Suddenly I need to know all the plants Larry carries. Its not about what I like anymore, but about what sells -or what Larry wants to sell. My opinions will need to be channeled. Larry thinks Cherry Laurels are great. They take dry shade, or shade, or sun -a plus in our shady or sunny yards. Yet they grow fast, tall, they can be aggressive. I'll need to read the customer. Larry repeats, mantra-like, not to marry the customer. I'll need to reinforce that I work one day a week. I have a job, already. And the new studio.

What I do like is the opportunity to speak directly to people about plants, my didactic self channeled into a paying (however little) opportunity. And its around the corner. I like that. Enormously. The best commute. I've joined the horticulture industry. At least for one season. And then we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...