Monday, May 24, 2010

Lily



Last summer I bought a bunch of lilies. I'm always trying to order the martagons too late -sold out. Last year, I was on top of it. I bought too many, planting them all over the place. I accidentally chopped a couple up when changing the side yard around. An overzealous trash pail tosser took another out the other day. Yet there's so many growing quite vigorously, and most will be a total surprise -I can't recall what I ordered a year ago. Below, some of the many.

Of course, there's brother-in-law's asiatic, holding its own against an army of millefolium yarrow.

The broken lily. It now sits in water -as if it was mature enough to bloom.

This one is about 32 inches and survived the trash pail toss.

I bought wood the other day. I will make a picket fence to block the flying pails.

This lily is about 40 inches tall.

These I've had for two years, and bloom later. Easily 4 feet when blooming.

These are new and live in the aster patch. Already 3 feet tall.

The first of the new lilies to flower. Lilliputian compared to the others at 18 inches tall.

Lilies are at the top of the garden food chain. Cultivated, rarefied, the elites of the garden.


2 comments:

  1. Oh! Those flowers caught my attention. It seems you have a great flower gardens. How I wish I could have a cool garden like yours. Keep it up!



    -pia-

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...