Thursday, June 17, 2010

Redoing Dinky Rink



Construction has begun on the new ice skating complex in Prospect Park. I don't ice skate.

How quick the plants or weeds (mostly smartweed, some jewelweed) fill up the drained parts of the lake.

Despite the fact that I do not ice skate or roller skate, I feel pretty good about this work in the park. I am not one of those New Yorkers who can't seem to stand anything new. I like new things, especially if the integration of the project is well-considered and the scope of renovation extends beyond the project's focus.*

What I like most about this project is that it is bringing attention to the part of Prospect Park that has seemed to get so little attention over the last 20 years. I will withhold my judgement until complete, but a few things below I hope will finally be addressed because they are all near the new rink.

The horrible euonymous hedgerows near the parking lot, please something more in tune.

The broken benches in the concert grove.

The disintegrated paving around the whole of the lake.

The forever broken staircase leading to the concert grove and the ratty euonymous hedge.

Restore the old planters; pull the large maple trees out of them before its too late.

Restore the concert grove to its intended splendor. Abe Lincoln lives here now, don't move him.


*I was for the O-12 olympics -2 weeks of crowds in summer -big deal! Private money would have come out of the wood work to improve all kinds of facilities that would then be used by the public and I can almost guarantee we would have gotten more subway improvements, bike lanes, etc. out of it.


1 comment:

  1. That's so great that they are doing work in Prospect park!

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...