Friday, September 24, 2010

Batali's Green Tomato Spaghetti


The question was what to do with all those green tomatoes. The answer: Mario's green tomato spaghetti.

What I had: mint, basil, parsley, garlic, green tomatoes.
What I didn't have: parmigiano, arugula. Trip to Golden Farms -baby arugula, perfect. Uh, no, not that parmigiano. Oh well, use the pecorino Romano I have in the fridge.

The 5 green tomatoes, 1/4 cup of mint, basil, and parsley and two small cloves garlic thrown into the mini-processor and chop chop, grind grind. Salt, pepper (he says generously). The red bits were from a semi-ripened tomato.

Cook ye spaghetti. Toss the whole mess into the hot pasta with a 1/4 cup of XV OO.

Plate er up and grate some cheese. The fruity-nutty flavor of parmigiano would have been better than the salty kick of pecorino Romano on this dish. Why don't I have any in my fridge?



3 comments:

  1. Oh, good. Didn't know about this, and still have some green tomatoes. We're hitting the pasta more often, in cost-saving mode. Yum, looks very good! I just bought a chunk of parmesan the other day, ouch. But worth it. Cut it up into smaller chunks, wrapped super tight. Lasts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was good, a medley of green herbs with the tart of the tomato. Def needs the parmigiano.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Visiting from 66SQF, Didn't know you had a food blog too, this looks delish.

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...