Friday, September 17, 2010

El Mariachi


Tonight Betsy and I are going out to a neighborhood Mexican joint with Jen and Felix. On Fridays, the place has mariachi. I met Jen years ago at an artists residency on the Lower East Side. One morning I bumped into Jen as she was running through the neighborhood. That's when I discovered she moved 5 blocks away with her husband Felix. Jen works for a gallery and Felix works at the Frick Museum. Felix coined the term (at least amongst us) "working class artists," to describe those of us with full time jobs as opposed to the "bohemians" of the past. Their art is full of wit, much like them.

This is them, by Felix.

Jen makes unusual, beautifully odd drawings.




Felix was in Reaganography, the show I put together last fall.

He works these days with wood burning tools, pop and political cultural images .


You can see more of Jen's work here and more of Felix's work here.



1 comment:

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...