Sunday, September 5, 2010

Present


Upon returning tonight, I couldn't help but examine the gardens by street light. Oh. Ew. The side yard is a disaster. Tomatoes completely fallen over, herbs dried and crispy, cosmos broken, all things in pots dead or nearly so. Hmm. My attempt to get some neighbors to water was half-hearted. I mean really, ask someone to walk back and forth 80 feet with a schlapping watering can, legs over fences. Even I don't like it.

It isn't the first dead garden I've returned to and it won't be the last. It is sad, but then, I have so little patience for things in pots, anyway. From what I can see tonight, most of what lives in the ground is great -a little maintenance here or there will top things up. It is clear to me that for a garden to do well, the gardener must be present -even when he or she is away. How this presence manifests itself is up to you.


2 comments:

  1. Oh yuck. I'm sorry. I've come home to a deadish garden before and it's dis-spiriting. Where did the cats go? Or did they dry up, too? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've dried up, but we've put them in water.

    We took them with us. We drove. We have a van now. They hate the drive, love the destination!

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...