Saturday, March 26, 2011

Beach Farm Checkup



I went to the beach farm today, so close after traversing the Verrazano. The broccoli's fabric tent was holding up, despite the prior snow and the winds. I found it quite warm under the fabric and, if anything, the soil is too dry and could use some rain. The water is still not turned on, which is reasonable given the frozen temperatures.

Earlier in the day I stuck my hand in my pocket for warmth, only to find a hundred spinach seeds that must have fallen out of a packet some weeks ago; seeds never planted at the farm.

There are three kinds of weeds flowering on the farm. Freezing winds, what weed shall care, it's flower time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...