Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Trash Mob

I've just returned from the woods in Prospect Park where we, the assembled, disposed of 22 bags of trash comprised mostly of hundreds of condoms, wrappers, wipes, and lubricants. What else can you say about that? The woods was otherwise lovely on this first humid and warm day of the year; the scents of various flowering shrubs aloft in the moist woodland air. Saw some columbine, woodland geranium, coral mushrooms, and another very large mushroom which was all about, but must go unnamed. UPDATEDryad's Saddle or Pheasant's Back, Polyporus squamosus (thank's Marie)Next time we will get to plant, which I am excited about.

Now, after some well-earned lunch, I am off to Red Hook to check out the new Gowanus Nursery and see if they have a palatable variety of vegetables and herbs that I have not been able to start myself. Particularly looking for eggplant, poblano peppers, and a variety of basil beyond the sweet or genovese. I did a wonderful job of raising tomatoes, broccoli, and leeks from seed this season, but somehow missed all the others. If I cannot find what I am looking for at Gowanus, I'll drive on down to Chelsea.

I grew enough tomatoes (black russian, brandywine, bella rosa, orange pixie, sungold cherry, reisenstraube grape, milano plum, and san marzano plum) this year to offer my well-grown extras to several people. After the nursery visit, I'll drop off most of my remaining extras to friends up in Williamsburg, then heading to BAM for my first three D movie -Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for today, Frank!

    My first and last 3D was Avatar - made me so sick! I wanted to die. Hopefully your sea legs are better.

    Found the fungus whose name I had forgotten: Dryad's Saddle, Polyporus squamosus. Edible when young.

    Did you find vegetables at Gowanus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Gowanus not open, and seemingly still under construction! I was highly disappointed, went to Chelsea, hated their prices, went to some new place up the street, they had nada, went back to chelsea and just bought thai basil seeds and poblano seeds. What the hey, 6-8 weeks I can wait.

    I DID NOT like the glasses, although I saw the usefulness to the film, but gave me a kind of headache. Glad I'm not the only one. Betsy was ok with it.

    Thanks for the ID!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, Gowanus seems to have hour-issues, I've heard that a few times (not being open).

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...