Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Raised From The Dead




My new compost project has begun. I am composting our kitchen scraps right in the vegetable garden soil. My goal is to create a living soil from dead plants. Possible problems? Disease -always with the disease, Frank. A good compost pile heats up real nice, my method will not, but then they always say to keep the diseased stuff out of the pile so obviously heat wasn't going to do the pathogens in anyhow. On the other hand, I'm hoping (not very scientific, hope, is it?) that the organisms, micro and otherwise, will take on the pathogens with great enthusiasm. In fact, I am hoping that I am creating an abundant food source for as many microorganisms as possible. Each week's compost (about a gallon) will be dug into a new hole in fallow garden space -especially the tomato zone. As the winter progresses, old spots will be infused with new kitchen scraps. I suppose all that I am thankful for is the opportunity to play around with a good experiment, no care for failure. And, the project gives me a reason to keep going out to the beach farm all winter long.





1 comment:

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...