Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Fennel Seed, Not Quite



The first cutting came to the studio where it is warm and dry.

But, after a week, I rustled the stems, and I was a little dumbfounded by what fell out.

Gnats. So, naturally I google gnats and fennel, but I found nada. So, my next batch came home with me and was placed in the stove (not doing much cooking lately) on a cookie sheet.

Yesterday afternoon, as I was about to use the oven, I removed the fennel. And, what fell out as it shook? You guessed it. So what gives? My first thought was that the gnats discovered the studio fennel because I left the windows cracked open. My second guess was the more likely, but less desirable, chance that they were already on the green fennel either as eggs or at some stage of maturation.

Anybody have experience with this? And if so, how do you deal? Just shake and shake until gnats no more or does washing before drying take care of them?






2 comments:

  1. Hm. I think I may have eaten some gnat-rubbed pork belly a couple of weeks ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? In other words, you saw them but ate anyway. :-)

      Delete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...