Monday, October 22, 2012

Where The Wild Things Are




They're in my gut and in my back, jumping around, banging their heads, slamming into walls.

Regular readers and friends, you may have noticed that there hasn't been any posts this October about my garlic farming. You may remember that by early October last year I was already on my plot upstate tending to the business of a small garlic farm and posting. Not this year, and there is a good reason: I have yet to secure a place to grow my crop.

Above you see my Crocus sativus, Saffron crocus, that should have been in the ground early this month. They are now sprouting in storage. It makes me sad, but also frustrated and deeply stressed. I have over 25 hundred dollars worth of the best seed garlic money can buy sitting in my studio. Over the last two months I would have been preparing, measuring, sourcing, labeling, and otherwise getting ready for the rush of planting had things gone as expected.

But they haven't and I've been sitting on my hands. I resist the temptation to tell the story because it simply isn't the time for that. All I can say is that I've been ready to get this done and yet there has been foot dragging, and now, at the last minute, a lease was presented with wording that I cannot agree to.

The stress of not working when I know I could and should wears me down. If the organization does not communicate with me an effective solution to our problem over the coming days, I will either need to find tilled land somewhere within driving distance to plant or Hudson Clove will clove no more.

If it comes to that, I will have 150 pounds of a wide variety of seed garlic for sale at my cost.




5 comments:

  1. Damn. I was worried your lack of posting indicated problems. Here's hoping you find middle ground (or other ground) quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks everyone for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please keep us posted Frank. I"m very sorry to hear about the trouble.

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...