Monday, September 1, 2014

Hudson Clove Open





I've been away for over three weeks, in Minnesota, taking care of the house and to a lesser extent Rex, my father in law. Now, back in Brooklyn, it's time to take care of the garlic. First things first, make a new bundle -The Each and Every Bundle, named as such because it has one of every variety in it -a first!

I did not have a stellar year as yields were down about 45% from the number of cloves planted. Spring time rot is the usual culprit. I have to, finally, ask myself if the humid maritime climate is not the real culprit. The second problem is rot in the curing stage -a dry rot, leaving the bulb an empty wrapper. After Minnesota, I returned to find this the case in at least some of the bulbs.

Problems aside, the store has opened. I have a quite limited supply this season, maybe only twenty five to thirty bundles. Pricing is the same as at last season's New Amsterdam Market, each head is going for two dollars, the labeling of each variety and bundling priced at five dollars, and of course shipping. As practiced, this love affair with garlic has been a financial loser. In fact, garlic growing may be on hiatus this coming season as changes in location are on tap. Like Hudson Clove on FB to stay posted, and as these changes are put into action, I will also keep you informed here.

A big hearty thank you to all those repeat customers who have supported my garlic farming! It's nice to see your order pop up on my mobile banner as soon as the store opens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...