Thursday, June 26, 2008

Adirondack Two-Step

Last weekend I traveled to Schroon Lake in the Adirondacks. Friends invited us to stay for a couple of days in their sister's cabin on the lake. While there, my friend Mark and I were given this puzzle: 15 two by six by eights and a slope -make a staircase that senior citizens can navigate from the driveway to the cabin. Use no additional materials (except nails). Here are the results, however unfinished.

looking up


looking down


angle shot


I did express concern about water flow (amongst other problems) down the hillside. Duly noted by its owner. Update & Note: Last weekend a torrential downpour emptied the soil from the staircase. Way too many plants and topsoil are turned over to build these steep-sloped hillside get-aways. Summer thunderstorms wash that loose soil right into the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...