Thursday, April 2, 2009

Winter Hazel Buttercup


The other day me and my friend were walking in Brooklyn Heights discussing our studio future and we both noticed a small shrub in a whiskey barrel. Forsythia? No, clearly not. But what is it? Hmm..., the flowers looked like little lanterns. Has an Asian lineage, possibly.
Well, I found out what it was when The Occasional Gardener had a post about it the next day. I think we discovered this shrub on the same day! Of course, there was an enormous one (compared to the diminutive specimen we saw) at the entrance to Wave Hill.

Look out Forsythia, Winter Hazel Buttercup Corylopsis pauciflora (hardly paucitous!) is on your tail.


5 comments:

  1. That's one of my favourites. There is a huge one at the BBG, opposite the lilacs, and a smaller one near all the magnolias.

    Did you sniff it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I did, would I remember doing it? Cause I don't. I sniffed earlier a viburnum. I remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you would have remembered :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serendipity. The one I saw was near the Magnolias- I'll have to look out for the one near the Lilacs. I'll also have to check out the smell - the Magnolias were sort of overriding everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting story! In this epoch is very difficult ot find this kind of places, due to the fact the industries have created buildings everywhere

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...