Sunday, May 17, 2009

This Week...In The Garden





I am sad that I will miss the high point of our summer flower season while I am away. But the rocket and irises have put on a good show before I am to go.


Can you tell the difference between the nursery purchased mother on the left and its offspring, on the right. The offspring is huskier in every way, including leaf width, petals, and overall plant size.


I will miss the spirea blooms, which in so many ways is not the reason to enjoy this plant.


This iris is taking its sweet time. Warmer weather would open this guy right up, but we're looking at a three day time lapse between these two shots. Amazing color, isn't it?

4 comments:

  1. Lovely irises. They must smell good, too.

    Have a great time away, and hope ti's good for you and the work. Maybe you'll post a show and tell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful plants!

    Dame's Rocket is a non-native plant that is on Massachusetts' prohibited plants list. I don't know if NY has such a list, but whether or not dame's rocket is prohibited, it is likely as much of a problem in your neck of the woods as it is here. As a substitute, you could grow a native phlox instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,
    I knew this was coming...
    and I have no excuse. We bought this one at a nursery in Maine, a state that cares less about such things I suppose. The mustards are blooming over much of New England right now, so to see them out there, as I did just recently traveling by train through CT, was to be alert to their ubiquitousness. It is not recognized by NYS Invasive Plant Council -yet.

    My wife's mother grew this plant in the midwest (or it grew itself), where it is recognized as a potential, but unstudied threat.

    Phlox is great, which we have plenty of in our small small yard. I'm sure you know that it blooms considerably later than the mustards. But, again, this is not an excuse. Yes, I have the mustard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what a tempting plant this is. It bloomed in our garden the first year that we moved in, and it was the most beautiful thing in the yard at the time. And, ug, I had to kill it!

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...