Sunday, May 23, 2010

Return To Fort Tilden



Last Thursday my wife and I took a day. I decided that I wanted to see how much the gardens at Ft. Tilden had changed since last year and since this winter, when they granted me the consolation of 12th place in line for a plot.

Being that we were traveling south, why not stop at Di Fara for a few slices.

Two buses from Ave. J behind us, the first thing we notice is the incredibly sweet smell of the weedy olive trees. They were everywhere along the shore; the onshore breeze carrying the scent inland.

I spotted this tiny-flowered weed at the edge of the garden. Don't know what it is.

The garden hadn't changed much, excepting what naturally changes season to season.

The weeds were down, starting anew.

I began wondering about my 12th place in line. Did I want it?

I could grow a lot of vegetables in this plot.

I thought this one maybe, with its easy-to-pull weeds and tree to shade my rest.

Some plots were cleared, adjacent to those uncleared.

Which probably explains the rubber mat gardener, wary of weeds I suppose.

This is a bean field -no rows, no nothin.

This gardener had nice looking lettuce, but had planted their tomatoes as if they were lettuce.


After checking out the garden, we strolled over to the beach. The onshore breeze was strong, kicking up waves. I found two horseshoe crabs, rather unusual I thought on the south shore.


This one was still fresh, uncleaned by the creatures of the beach.

The rugosa were in bloom.



4 comments:

  1. Jeez, maybe some of the gardeners currently on the roster are dead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they're buried right there, in those plots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no wonder they planted the forget-me-nots (the mystery plant? i cannot see a center yellow eye, however.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see the yellow center, Donna, but they did look somewhat like siberian bugloss, or false forget-me-nots -but not quite right.

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...