Sunday, October 10, 2010

Warm Front


This morning my thermometer said it was 48 degrees F at 6:30 am. We were getting an early start to head to the farmers' market and then the beach farm. By the time we got to the beach, say 9:30 am, it had warmed up considerably. Sweater off. I planted my broccoli seedlings, some more spinach seeds, hesitated on pulling the green bell peppers -allowing them to ripen more on the plant, and pulled the ichiban eggplants.

When I was in NM, I grew eggplants and broccoli amongst other things. When winter came, I tented both under clear-ish plastic. The broccoli responded wonderfully with 60 degree days and 25 degree nights. The eggplant just couldn't deal without the heat and strong sun. So, while I am considering tenting my broccoli seedlings, I knew to pull those eggplants. I did leave the Italian eggplants, a few fruits and too many flowers to have the heart to pull just yet. Oh yes, and they're in the back not casting any shade on the broccoli.

After a delightful walk on an empty beach (because its autumn, everyone goes north), we headed for the studio. When we left it around 7:30 pm, I was struck by how moist and warm it was compared to earlier today. My thermometer says it is 64.8 degrees F currently. Warm front must be on its way. I like warm fronts in October -not ready for the jacket.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...