Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Just In Time For...



...uh, thundersleet? Our flight was delayed, but only just enough to squeak us in before the heavy precipitation and lightning. It made for a turbulent final 40 minutes. The sleet was heavy on the corrugated roofs of the A train's outdoor platforms, and I was glad not to be out there.

Incidentally, I had looked up while we were crossing the F train Smith bridge and noticed that every single person on our moderately filled train was looking down at a little screen. Everyone. I believe this is the first time that I've seen such a totality of electronic immersion.

Anyhow, by the time I made it to Smith, the precipitation had changed over to dollops of wet snow. Yet I was pleased to see that little of anything had stuck in the untrammeled parts of the walk from my station further south. From 87 and sunny to 35 and thundersleet in 2 hours. That, my friends, is the magic of air travel.


4 comments:

  1. The snow stuck on the yard here in Staten Island. I'm worried about my strawberry and asparagus plants. Ugh, not a good start to the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they'll be okay with the snow, they're adapted to such early spring weather. Its the cold that could settle on them that could cause grief if it truly drops to 25 over the coming nights.

    Make a quick row cover out of plastic or some other fabric and that should protect them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are still fall leaves over the strawberry beds, that I haven't had time to remove. Do you think this will help insulate them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it will a little, but its hard to say without knowing how cold for how long. That said, strawberries are perennial and should survive early spring cold.

    If greatly concerned, throw something over them at night.

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...