Friday, June 17, 2011

Pea And Broccoli Pull



I pulled the broccoli and transplanted the remaining small plants to the fall-season broccoli bed. It was also time to pull the peas, although I was hesitant because they were still producing. But, it was now or never for the paste tomatoes, which were growing stiff and yellow in little pots. 

I was hungry, at the beach farm long after my intended stay, and I was fortunate to have every last snow and snap pea, and some pea flowers and leaves to feed on. As it turned out, the peas had become the target of aphids, which helped me feel better about pulling them.

Although I munched almost thoughtlessly, I noticed tiny, suspended eggs on one pod.

And then on a leaf, along with an aphid or two, more eggs. The peas had become a weakened host, and I was glad to let them go.


6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the paste tomatoes.

    Happy Gardening,
    Kristina K.

    Urban Farm Wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those suspected eggs! That's wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I've never seen suspended eggs like in your photo. Yellow to orange eggs: the ones I've seen are Colorado Potato Beetle, Mexican Bean Beetle and Lady Bug. Have no idea really how to differentiate, but I've never seen Colorado Potato Beetles on Peas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aren't those eggs for lacewings (on threads)? the yellow--are they ladybug eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been able to research, I am away from the desk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness you didn't accidentally eat an egg!

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...