Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Word About Spring Broccoli


Yum.

But it's not as good as fall broccoli. Or, at least, my spring broccoli is not as good as my fall broccoli. But for warm weather broccoli, this is good broccoli, so don't go getting on my case, cause this is good broccoli is all I'm sayin, just not as good as in the fall, in which I hope it does well, and becomes really good fall broccoli.

This is my first successful seeding and growing of Brassica oleracea 'piracicaba,' a purportedly warm-weather loving broccoli with small heads and multiple side shoots. Its head character is loose with large green buds, and the taste surprisingly sweet although its appearance and the warm weather tell you it should be otherwise.

The head, above, after being cut from the stalk. It takes a minute before you excuse the broccoli for not having tight, firm broccoli-type heads.

Developing side shoots a week after the initial cut.

The cabbage moth caterpillars like broccoli too, which is why most of my broccoli is under tent. This particular plant never budded last fall, survived under snow cover, and continued growing this spring. So far, no bud development, but it had caught the attention of an egg-laying cabbage mother. I watched her flutter to this plant, bend her abdomen under just so lightly and lift off -it's a split second of activity. She then flutters directly to the other tented broccoli, flapping around it awhile -trying to figure it out? Then moves on to the other tent.

And works her way around the tent to the weakness in its defense. The moths know that the broccoli is under these tents -they must be able to smell it! She lights upon the leaf for just an instant, then flutters away as I pretend to give chase.

There were more moths at the beach farm in April than are there now, and, in fact, this is the first cabbage moth I have seen in quite a while. I well assume they are on the rise now, one of a few generations in each growing season. The key, if not tenting (which has its drawbacks), is to time the broccoli head development for the time between moths and hungry caterpillars. If you can figure that out, you'll get my full respect. Or, maybe you will just deal with the dark green poop, white cocoons, and little green worms hidden in the buds. I, for one, cannot.




2 comments:

  1. HI - I have had pretty good luck planting Borage and Mint in with my cabbbage and broccoli, although I have to dig up the mint every few months. I just cut the borage back. Also, I drop mineral oil on the leaves early in the season so the eggs and worms slide off. Worked on 6 cabbages and 4 broccoli this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...