Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Garlic Daddy



It was time, maybe even a week late.

The bulbs, between 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 inch in diameter, were healthy, and a bit dirty.

Lined up for portrait.

Cleaned, mostly, and strung up for curing in the apartment.

The garlic did quite well. The bulbs are beautiful to look at, sculptural even, blushed mauve. I'm thinking of growing many more next year, with a selection for sale. Where or how, I do not yet know. What is the going rate for ordinary garlic bulbs in your neck of the woods? What is the going rate for fresh, naturally grown specialty garlic in your neck of the woods? If you don't have any idea, head out to a farmer's market or farm stand this month, where you should find them for sale.  What would someone pay, in these here NYC parts, for naturally grown, soil-tested, locally grown specialty garlic?

And finally, thanks to Meems, at Gardening in the Boroughs of NYC for selling me some of her families garlic late, late last season.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, your bulbs bulked up better than ours. I think I pulled mine way too early. Yours are totally beautiful. Isn't the smell just amazing? http://nycgardening.blogspot.com/2011/07/2nd-week-of-july-harvest.html

    By the way, I'm going to the garlic festival in Saugerities NY Sept 24th & 25th. If you never been before, you should check it out. They have vendors selling all kinds of garlic so you can see the pricing etc.

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...