Saturday, November 9, 2013

Local Yocal


For the last year or so I've been buying Woodstock frozen spinach from our local food co-op. It's price was reasonable for organic, and I fictionalized it's origins based on the name -I just imagined this was upstate NY produce smartly frozen for year round use. 

Today, I actually read the bag when I set to cook. I had no idea this company was sourcing its produce from a global network of farms and in this instance, China. I gather it comes down to the price. Woodstock can use BPA free bags, have nice package design, and be organically labeled for under $3 on the backs of low paid farm laborers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...