Monday, June 28, 2010

Look What I Found



I feel like I found something special -even if it's not. I shoved two sticks in the ground to protect it (ha!), being rather exposed as it is in an area of Prospect Park where tree-trimming and garbage trucks pass through regularly. It stands alone, nothing around it but forest litter, quite near the paving.

I discovered it a week ago, however without my camera. I returned the other day thinking it would be blooming by now. It was not. My guess as to what it may be: A lily of some kind, maybe Maianthemum? I will need to see it in flower. Any good guesses?


5 comments:

  1. Not sure what it is. Can't wait to see it in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that does looks special.

    I'm clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is coming up in my PA garden, too, and while I fear it may be some noxious weed (because I can't remember planting it) I've left it in place just in case. We should have bloom in a week or two and hopefully then, light will dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, because its the only one and in a pretty dense shade situation, I'm guessing on the side of not weed. That said, I've been fooled before. It does have a certain elegance about it. I'm guessing green-white flowers on a stalk about 16 inches tall. Please post yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an orchid! It's an orchid! Mine is in bloom and I'll photograph it tomorrow and post. I'll also try to i.d. it.

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...