Monday, January 12, 2009

Thoughts on a Winter Landscape

New Hampshire in the winter-time is beautiful, but it is more than that. It goes deeper, because it struck me today that New Hampshire in the winter-time is the landscape that I would draw as a child. It is a dream, the essential winter landscape. It is snow covered evergreen boughs, white birches in a field of snow, crystal night skies with bright stars and moon-light to read by. Homes glowing with incandescence, chimney stacks with lazy smoke, snow-covered trails that invite walking, wind high in the hemlocks, icicle-fringed rooftops, glistening snow crystals floating on air. This is the winter scene I drew as a kid, the stuff of dreams and Currier & Ives prints.

My daily commute


No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...