Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hot Day Today, Changes Afoot


Hot early, high pressure pumping up warm, humid air -classic summertime pattern a wee bit early. That means many of the flowers will begin to fade, especially the roses.

Yesterday, after much looking, my wife and I bought a used 1993 Previa minivan -from a small lot in Brick, NJ. While invested in the idea of not having a carbon-munching vehicle in NYC for the last three years, we finally concluded that we needed it to move our art around. It had been increasingly difficult to affordably and confidently rent vehicles at the last minute. While my dreams were for a new pickup, wagon, or van that got 55mpg, my reality is a used minivan with 150 thousand miles on it. I did my homework, though. The Previa's engine can go to 300K without much trouble, the interior can fit a 4x8 piece of plywood (the gold standard), all while appearing somewhat new due to its funky egg-shaped styling. Due to an unknown tax-credit (the Make Work Pay Credit-part of the stimulus plan), we received double the return that we were expecting, so that we like to say that President Obama bought us our minivan. Thanks Mr. President.

Tomorrow I begin packing my mother, sister and brother-in-law's home for their move to Florida. On Friday, we set out on the road in a 24 foot truck to somewhere near Orlando. I've never been, and certainly never been so close to Disney. I should bring my camera. Posts, however, will be slim to none over the next week. Enjoy the warm weather, this weekend is supposed to be spectacular.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...