Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bird Droppings


Sweet Gum, or American Sweet Gum to some, Liquidambar styraciflua is a favorite tree. Here it is near the northern limits of its range, but should have no trouble surviving our temperate borough.

While walking upon Lookout Hill, I heard the faint tapping of the season's first ice pellets falling on dry leaves, although the sun was shining and the sky bright blue. I paused, looked around, up.

It was them! Cedar Waxwings making the most of the Sweet Gum above me.

Later, along the Lullwater, the same thing. I found this tiny seed in my hair, placing it on the head of the 3/4 inch rebar used to prop up wire fencing in the park. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...