Tuesday, June 14, 2011

NYC Playgrounds Only For Kids And Moms

Read this account of a recent ticketing after eating a donut with a friend in a NYC playground.
Follow up story here. I guess playgrounds get considerably less safe with non-child raising adults around. Cops are well aware when they're racking up easy ones, and no greater opportunity for a bunch of easy ones are a few donut eating couples sitting on a playground bench.

Enforcement of the law requires discernment, not bluntly wielded objectivity. If I am breaking rules, unknowingly, it is up to the police officer to discern my intent. If I look like a drug dealer, pedophile, ask me for my ID. If I look like an ignorant donut eater, tell me to scram.

1 comment:

  1. We pay for parks and playgrounds as part of our tax dollars. Why should we have to scram at all?
    This is another example of a law with an ostensibly good intent and some serious problems in practice.

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...