Tuesday, June 14, 2011

West Side Story



Not long ago, while stopping and going up the West Side Highway, I was struck by the weediness of the median plantings. It's no surprise that the plants have been suffering over the last few years. I recall driving by a summer or two ago and seeing roses and trees browned from drought and heat (how hard would it be to put irrigation in those pits (and if they have, why wasn't it working)). Then there's the salt spray from unending winter snows. So, the plants weaken, and without maintenance, the hardier plants move in. 

It's a nice idea, masses of ever-blooming roses, for drivers, but when the weeds fill in, it becomes compelling for this driver, and dangerous. I was glad to hit traffic, camera out the window, trying in vain to capture what I thought I was seeing.

See how the Mugwort and Wild Garlic add color and formal variety where previously there was none.



I cannot even tell if this grass was planted intentionally; it looks so weedy, but also atmospheric.

Can you see the wild garlic floating above? The roses on the retreat.

The Ailanthus, making its way back to favorite locations -hot, dry, with concrete.

But then, there is what appears to be Canada Thistle amongst the roses, adding harmony to the monotony.

There are swaths of still functioning Rosa monotona.

But, only for a half block or so.

Where monotones of Canada Thistle make headway.

When I see this, I think of the trees shading out whatever was planted here -that same, sun-loving grass? 

I suppose it could be like this, where maintenance is paid for, around new construction.

Or it could be like this -no doubt influenced by the Gehry building that the median fronts. By the way, does the Gehry building also require the cars that front it to be silver?


1 comment:

  1. Gah, those red Knockout (?) roses...love the weedy analysis.

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...