Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Word On Mushrooms



Prolific.

The coral mushrooms have been in great abundance.

 And this one the greatest size. Perfect.

 A fuzzy ear. 

I found a cache of oysters, but the recent rains and a day too late had me leave them for the flies.

 Then some more.

Have you seen oysters with frilly edges?

No loss, really, because we then hit the edible jackpot. Small, but clean, no bugs, and delicious. I ate some raw -it was perfectly tender. Sauteed as well, with butter. More than the flavor, its texture was like chicken.

 These were a fantastic find, bright white in the dark woods.



An interesting slime mold on decaying wood.

Which then sprouted these fungal growths.

Near the slime mold grew these little pink-salmon rounds.

I'll have to check back in on them to see how they've grown.



I think the two above are the same -young Chinese Snow Fungus, Tremella Fuciformis.

Orange mushrooms in the dark.

Some particularly fine-colored Turkey Tail, Trametes versicolor.

We had a hope that these, a field if little white fingers, were the holy grail of mushroom hunting. No, not morels, chantarelles, or any other such edible. What then?

Phosphorescent mushrooms. Rex and Betsy had seen glowing mushrooms one night, years ago, in the woods of his old place. Alas, these were not. At least not yet.



8 comments:

  1. Wow! What finds! I think I like the coral mushrooms and turkey tail the best. Most of these I haven't seen before, so I'm glad you made this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beauty of mushrooms, and the fact that there are 6 fungi species for every one species of green plants, not to mention that edible mushrooms are such a gift, I would love to see somein all of our courtyard gardens. I love your collection of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you hit the mushroom jackpot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you eat the coral fungi????? Say yes!

    Beautiful. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know the corals were edible??!! We are watching a growing Chicken o the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, there's so much worthwhile information here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found some pinkish mushrooms that look like worms or sea life - email me for a picture...dtwigg@spanishhill.com. can you help me identify them?

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...