Saturday, June 8, 2013

Little Red Riding Berry



I am repeatedly asked by Polish women in the neighborhood about these little red berries. They often ask if I am growing wild strawberry or woodland strawberry, a plant they recall from their home country, but I'm not, although if I was I certainly wouldn't eat those grown here. No, these berries belong to Potentilla indica, a somewhat invasive ground cover that stowed away within a freebie transplant I received two years back. It must be kept in check, but does wonders (after establishment) for removing potential kitty litter spots in the garden. I'll keep it as long as it behaves itself, appreciating those red berries for the magic woodland apparition that stops people in their tracks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...