Saturday, July 19, 2008

URBAN HIKER


When I was a kid we would get a large, fold-out Brookhaven township map in our area phonebook. One summer I highlighted all the roads I traveled on already. Then, I proceeded to plan bike rides to points of interest I found on the map. Once I made those trips, I'd highlight the route. Acknowledging to no one other than myself how well-traveled I had become!

In some sense, I am still doing this, albeit much slower and over a bigger area. I'm no excellent hiker and certainly not in the best shape. But I like discovery, seeing new places, and hiking as exercise. I recently logged on to the NYNJ Trail Conference. They sell many NYC area maps (on waterproof tyvek!) and I've gotten some of those too. The Long Island Greenbelt Trail Conference sells maps (paper, unfortunately) to many of Long Island's major trails.

Below is a list of the hikes I have walked recently. If you click, you'll find descriptions of my experiences of the trails, the park, or whatever it is that captures my interest. 


Weir Farm (Metro North to Branchville, CT or by car) MAP
Avalon (Long Island RR to Stony Brook or by car) MAP
Sam's Point (Bus to New Paltz or Ellenville, then taxi, or by car) MAP
Greenbelt Nature Center (Subway to SI Ferry, then Bus or by car) MAP
Forest Park (walk, F, E, J, Z subway, bus, or car) MAP
Muttontown Preserve (LIRR to Syosset, NY or by car)MAP
Nissequogue River (LIRR to Smithtown, NY or by car)MAP
Fort Tilden (A train, Bus, Walk, Bike, Ferry or by car)MAP
Camp Hero (Long Island RR to Montauk or by car)MAP



No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...