Saturday, May 18, 2013

Beepin Flowers


We were driven out of the house early today to see why it was there was beeping and cursing going on, for what worked out to be hours. A half marathon apparently had closed down all the local roads, and no one knew. Our small streets became clogged with cars, angry drivers, and no reason. It was road madness. Since I was outside, I pulled my samurai hoe from the van and made short order of weeds, moved a few plants, then took photos of some flowers.

Flax, sun barely shining through the clouds. We planted two of these Larry specials last year. One returned this season.


 Geranium gracing the iron fencing, just beneath grandma's rose.


 Grandma's rose stretched itself this spring, reaching over the hacked shrub rose.


The scent is a light citrus spice. The first bud of the season was cut for my grandmother on mother's day. She still has a nose for flowers at 98.


We thought tradescantia bit the dust, but some has come up in odd places -in this case under the rose. Iphone refuses to do well with the blue-purple, especially with yellow on top.

Today I head to Flushing for some Hot Pot and dumplings with a visiting friend, but only after I visit an open studio in LIC and hit the hydroponics store off the LI Expressway. I've been eyeballing this place for years and years, now finally have a reason to check it out.

6 comments:

  1. That rose is gorgeous! Hot Pot and dumplings, a perfect way to spend a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered about that hydroponics store too. Please report!

    I love the blue of that flax. I've grown it from seed a couple times but I wish it was more persistent. The phone photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. S t u n n i n g geranium!

    And the flax - it looks like Cape Town in the summer (they grow singly, not en masse)...

    Did you know you can eat the tradescantia? I have never tried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brian. I'm forming a post revolving around the Cornell-hydroponics duality.
    Marie, no I did not know that. Looks succulent and if I had to imagine the flavor I would imagine grassy citric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Frank, I wandered over from 66sq. Years ago we noticed a gorgeous plant and relocated one to our yard in the deep South. It was Spiderwort or Tradescantia. It has spread from one clump to thousands across the neighborhood! All bees love it for the abundance of pollen each morning. We are resigned to having made yet another gardening faux paux or clusterf#&$!#%! I feign ignorance when my neighbors with golf course grass yards complain. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I've long noticed how "weedy" the Spiderwort is. It has had greater populations in our garden and is at an all time low. I, maybe like you, have a penchant for the weedy natives.

      Delete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...