Saturday, June 5, 2010

They're Baaa-aaack




My first blood offering

Yes, the loathsome Asian Tiger Mosquito, Aedes albopictus, has reared its head in the side yard. I was hoping the loss of the yew tree and its shady habitat would diminish these buggers, but I knew there was little hope. The difficulty with the Asian Tiger is that it is not crepuscular like most mosquitoes in our region. The female will hunt for her blood meal (to develop her eggs) at any time during the day.


I have noticed less of them in the sunniest of locations and have attributed this to their preferred native woodland habitat. In previous years they rested under the tomato leaves. This leaves me cursing my decision to plant three this year! As soon as I enter the garden, they swarm, dozens making chase, some landing, quietly sucking my oxidized, liquid protein.


I am interested in this not so new compound developed from nepeta or catnip which appears to repel mosquitoes. I wonder what the cats will think?


2 comments:

  1. Those m*&%#@ers arrived weeks ago on the terrace - they swoop in at night through the sliding door. Then they disappeared for a couple of weeks. Now they're back. Not for nothing do I have a mosquito net. The catnip, now...that's something. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. %*#$ers! Can I put a mosquito net over the garden?

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...