Tuesday, August 2, 2011

NYC DoWTF



Adulticide. That's what they call it. I call it spraying pesticide. From the city:
Will the public be notified in advance about spraying activities?
Residents can learn about adulticiding schedules in advance through public service announcements, the media, the City's website (nyc.gov/health/wnv), or by calling 311, the City's Information Line. DOHMH will provide notification at least 24 hours prior to a spray event.

I found out about tomorrow's spraying in my neighborhood via a local blog, then went here to see for myself. Nowhere can I find exactly how they are spraying which, to me, and maybe parents, would be critical info.

Material Data Safety Sheet for Anvil -one chemical they say will be sprayed.

From the city:

How will the public be notified in advance about spraying activities?
Residents can learn about spraying schedules through public service announcements, the media, the City's website (nyc.gov/health/wnv), or by calling 311, the City's Information Line. DOHMH will provide notification at least 24 hours prior to a spray event.
What health risks are posed to my children from pesticides for adult mosquitoes?
In the amounts used, risks to people and pets are relatively low. However, some people may be more sensitive to pesticides and may want to reduce their chance of exposure by following the suggestions below.
If the City sprays pesticides in an area where I am, what should I do during the spraying?
If pesticide spraying occurs, DOHMH recommends that all individuals take the following precautions to avoid direct exposure to pesticides and to reduce the risk of any reactions to pesticides:
  • • Whenever possible, stay indoors during spraying.
  • • Some individuals are sensitive to pesticides. Persons with asthma or other respiratory conditions are especially encouraged to stay inside during spraying since there is a possibility that spraying could worsen these conditions.
  • • Air conditioners may remain on. But if you wish to reduce the possibility of indoors exposure to pesticides, set the air conditioner vent to the closed position, or choose the recirculate function.
  • • Remove children's toys, outdoor equipment and clothes from outdoor areas. If toys are left outside, wash them with soap and water before using them again.
  • • Wash skin and clothing exposed to pesticides with soap and water.
  • • Always wash your produce thoroughly with water before cooking or eating.
Anyone experiencing adverse reactions to pesticides should seek medical care or call 311 or the NYC Poison Control Center at (212) POISONS (764-7667).


4 comments:

  1. As I was reading a loved one's blog another reader (this exact issue of spraying came up in regards to killing off caterpillar populations)commented that apparently (at least in Ohio) residents can specifically request for their yards NOT to be sprayed and this often means that not only the yard will be avoided but ofter larger sections of the neighborhood. I'm not sure how legit this is, but I figured I'd at least offer this up as a possibility. Here's the link. http://cherylharner.blogspot.com/2011/08/blue-footed-what.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll check it out. Unfortunately, we just found out yesterday that they are spraying tonight!

    Thanks for coming by and giving me a read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My neighbor told me that they sprayed here in my neighborhood recently. It's so frustrating because the garden is 100% organic. I guess not anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its not good Meems. Contact your councilmember!

    ReplyDelete

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...